Finalizing the geometry of the armrests. This was real tricky to figure out which way to go and I spent a lot of time thinking about how to approach it aesthetically. I didn’t think an arm that was a slab sitting on top of the front leg would agree with the rest of the chair at all. Finally I had to give up on the arm being very wide at the front. The slight bulging upwards of the arm is an optical illusion. They are on a flat plane but curved outwards.
The arms are alder. I stained them quick with some aniline dye I had on hand to fool my eye. They came out looking amazingly very similar to the walnut… though absent the purple and other highlights that make real walnut so interesting.