Here’s the chair with all the major joinery done and dry assembled. It’s a successful prototype which proves the design is sturdy and the labor required not so silly as to make sets of chairs unmarketable.
I still have to make the curved back splat. I may deviate from my original plan.
This chair frame is meant for upholstery on the seat and back splat. The seat is a curved plywood laminate I described the making of in another blog post.
I made some mistakes but they aren’t unfixable and the purpose of making a prototype is to learn anyway.
Legs are laminated construction grade fir. I had to pick through a lot of 2×4s to find some clear sections for the laminated back legs. I described my vacuum laminate tapering jig in another blog post.
I learned a lot from making this chair and it certainly helped demystify dining chair design for me.