I spent a few hours…quite a few hours refining the fit of the mortise and tenons. They were pretty close, but when your working with 8/4 stock and seriously hard wood it seems to take forever to make small adjustments. I have a Veritas medium shoulder plane, but a true rabbet plane would really have come in handy. So would a much better set of rasp’s.
After I got the tenons properly fit I took them over to the band saw and cut a kerf for the wedges. I left about 1/8” of wood outside of the kerf. After testing several pieces, that seemed to be about as thick as I could and have the wood bend into the open part of the mortise.
I glued everything up and to my great surprise it all came together perfectly square without any tweeking. NExt week I’ll work on the rails.