A personal friend of mine asked me how I was able to make the pictures of my workshop available for viewing on the Internet as I refused to use Facebook and similar invasive propaganda. As I went and documented it for him I thought that I should share it in case it might give someone some ideas or another alternative.
We are often confronted with posting pictures on many of these types of forums, especially of highres pictures. If you load an image here into LJ it automatically gets resized and it is hard to reflect some of the finer details in the picture.
An alternative is to load the highres into another “receptacle” like PhotoBucket which I don’t think has a very user friendly navigation driver. I believe it also has a size limit (not confirmed as I always reduced my uploads).
I believe “imgur” is another alternative, however, I just tried to upload one 4032×3024 image and it’s been running for an age (longer than my 10 1200×900 images in a PDF file into DropBox). If based on first impressions… I am not impressed. I finally cried ”uncle” and tapped out in perfect Bellator style…
I have found another alternative for presentation, however, it required 2 components.
1. A DropBox account (the freebie version gives you a 500MB limit to start with and expandable by invitation) which if carefully managed and updated is more than enough. However, I do not recommend it for long term large files as you will limit your personal scope. If you do not have an account and want to sign up and don’t mind sharing your email address with me, drop me a line either through the LB mail or direct to “firstname.lastname@example.org” so I can send you an invite to join DropBox and get a bonus 500MB extension to my quota for spruking.
2. A JPG to PDF converter. There are numerous online services and many free/shareware and reasonably priced licensed products (no need to pay $400+ for Adobe Acrobat Pro), however, apparently you can convert them under Windows as follows. I haven’t fully read or tried it as I have a budget PDF processor on my PC.
What you do is combine your pickies using your choice in option 2 above into a PDF file.
I have provided two sample PDFs. They both basically contain the same pictures (10).
1. Small. These pictures are 1200×900 pixels and pack into a 1.4MB PDF file.
2. Large. These are 600×4000 and take up about 70.2MB of space (and took over 10 minutes to upload). This file will eventually be removed due to it’s large size and only used as a sample. PS. Has now been removed so don’t go looking.
3. Large (3 page only subset of above) 6000×4000 to permit zooming in and out of highres picture after the above large files bites the bullet. This occupies 23.3MB.
You can pick any resolution, however, consider your intended audience… Will they benefit from hires pictures or will a low res do. With PDF you can intersperse, however, the screen/zoom may play havock on their ocular appendage. The best part is that 1 upload does them all.
Once combined, logon to your freebie DropBox account (#1 above above) and upload it into an appropriate folder.
You can invite individuals to view your dropbox by providing email addresses. Alternatively, as I have recently discovered, you can click on the [SHARE] button to the right of the file and in the pop up box, click on the button near the top(ish) right hand side of the box (both circled in screen dump below). The link should be copied to your clipboard and you can then paste it as you would any other URL/HTML link.
The Small and Large links above were taged using this process.
If you post large pictures, I recommend you advise viewers that if they may view more than once, to download to their computer, as each time they go to view, it will reprocess/download the full file and a 60MB file multiple times is just unnecessary data transfer and can impact their bandwidths.
PS. As Initially stated, this is just an alternative and not a definitive methodology. If you are happy with the LJ resizing or links to PhotoBucket or imgur then stop reading this blog any further…
-- There's two ways to do things... My way or the right way.. LBD