My first big build, and what a journey it's been. Yet another workbench. #3: The legs, the frame and a whole bunch of joinery

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Lind posted 08-31-2015 10:27 PM 2391 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Gluing the top Part 3 of My first big build, and what a journey it's been. Yet another workbench. series Part 4: Fitting the vises and finishing up »

The top felt really solid and I was starting to get a feeling for the weight I’d eventually end up with. I wanted to fix my mistake with the tenon walls I’d sawn prior to the assembly so I could fit the breadboards:

I decided to just chop it out with a sharp chisel. I enjoyed this process a lot, which was fortunate considering that I spent the better part of a weekend putting the bottom together and attaching it to the top. Safe to say I got to hone both my chiseling and my sharpening skills ;)

The result was some tight joints and some not so tight ones, but overall I was very satisfied. The reason for the one double tenon is that the leg adjecent to the tail vise was angled 90% degress compared to the other legs in order to give more surface area for the vise:

This leg was supposed to be offset by about 2 inches to avoid the threaded rod, but I didn’t realize my mistake till I was halfway through the table top (talk about tunnelvision.. I mean the rod is right there, dammit!) so I came up with this work around. Not ideal, but it was a quick fix and I was confident that it would be strong enough anyway:

After a lot of joinery, a couple of dry fits and some adjustment I was able to do glue the top and the legs together. I had some trouble with this too, but nowhere near as bad as what I described in my previous post. But I did have to work it quite hard with my (new) mallet as well as the clamps to get it together. It’s worth noting that all the joints are supported by 4 and 6 inch bolts. They obviously add some structural integrity, but I hadn’t considered just how useful they’d be for the dry assemblies and the glue ups. I highly recommend this process for a workbench build, especially if you don’t own a lot of clamps:

-- He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics