This is the box after two more days exposure, for six days total. It isn’t much darker than it was after four days, so I’m going to call the experiment over. I’d like for it to be a bit darker, but at least I got the contrast I wanted with the basswood lid and pins. Even the basswood took on a bit warmer shade. This is why I put the lid in to fume with the sides. I thought that the pins might darken, and I wanted them to match the lid. Here is the box before fuming:
One problem is that the wood took on moisture and swelled, so that the lid is now jammed firmly in the rabbet in the top. The pins are also slightly recessed. I will let it dry out for a few days, and I think this problem will correct itself. My concern is that he basswood lid will be unevenly colored where it was shielded by the sides.
The box isn’t quite the shade I was hoping for. Here is one from a few years ago:
I think once I put some Danish oil on the box, I will have a tone that is a bit warmer and closer to the box above. I’ll post a picture after I oil it.