Construction and finishing has been completed since my last blog post. For the two drawers, I built boxes out of half-inch baltic birch plywood with quarter-inch baltic birch bottoms. For the plywood backs, I used quarter inch oak plywood which I later stained with dark walnut stain. I would have prefered actual walnut plywood but I don’t know of anywhere within a hundred miles that sells it, and under normal use I don’t think this will be visible anyway, once all the electronics are in place. (shhh, don’t tell Steve Jobs.)
After a lot of sanding, the next step was application of the black walnut Watco Danish Oil. I simply followed the directions on the can, then let the project sit a week to cure (even though it only states three days on the can). Meanwhile, I sprayed several light coats of shellac onto the drawer boxes as a sealer, and after the final coat sanded that down to a nice smooth finish.
Next up was HVLP spraying with the same Sherwin Williams water based polyurethane I have used on my last couple of projects. This goes on easily and is very forgiving (just what I need). After just a few hours of dry time, the top was attached to the main body, and the drawer fronts were attached to the drawer boxes. The next day, I was able to finish installing the full-extension drawer slides, install the magnetic catch on the center door and install the back panels. These are installed with threaded inserts and thumb screws so they can be easily removed for access to the connections of my electronics.
As soon as I finish this post, I plan to post this to the projects section and I will put a link here in the comments.
I do wish I was better at documenting and photographing my work. I hope someone might get a little bit of useful information or inspiration here, and if anyone has any questions about any aspect of this project, please post and I will answer as soon as I can.