Believe it or not, I finally have some pics to show of my progress. If all goes according to plan, the only thing left to do when this week is over will be the finishing work. So, here we go….
This first image was taken a few weeks back, when I had completed gluing up all the panels. There are the top, the main shelf, four adjustable shelves, both ends and the middle dividers in this photo. Starting with just rough sawn lumber, it seemed like it took forever to get to this point. I suppose things would have gone faster if I had a power jointer instead of just a few antique hand planes, but at least I got a good workout.
Next are front and rear views after the first round of assembly. The main shelf is glued into dadoes on the end panels, then the center dividers are glued into stopped dadoes. The space between the center dividers will be where the battery backup power supply will be located.
Next up I have a few pictures of the process I use to make the front legs.
This picture shows the two pieces of the leg. Each has one edge cut at a 45 degree angle. The notches in the right hand piece are to fit over the main shelf and lower horizontal brace.
Once the two pieces are ready, I ran some sandpaper over the 45 degree edge just enough to blunt it, then the pieces are clamped down and together.
Here you can see the two pieces firmly taped together. The blunting of the edge ensures that when they are folded together, they will be good and tight.
Unfortunately, my camera batteries decided to die at this point on this day. But, all that was left was spreading some glue, folding the two pieces together and applying tape to hold it tightly together. Once it was good and dry, I ran a 1/4 inch round over bit along the outside corner, and the seam pretty much disappeared.
And here it is with all four legs attached. A couple of other things to note, is that the sides extend up about 1/4 inch more than the legs, to fit into a dado in the top. Since the grain on all the panels runs the same direction, the top will be solidly glued to the sides. Also in this photo you can see the frame that will support the removable power center door.
This image from the rear shows the holes for the adjustable shelves. I think you can also make out the recessed area at the rear of each side of the main shelf. There are also recesses on each adjustable shelf, and there will be space at the rear of the drawers to allow the wiring to drop down. The back of the drawer section will be open, but there will be a plywood back behind the shelf area. These recesses will allow the cables to exit without making holes in the plywood back.
And finally, here is a sneak peak at what the final product will look like. The top is dry fitted into place, the door for the power center area is sitting in place, and I have temporarily clamped the drawer fronts into place.
Today I also managed to get the shop back into order. Tomorrow should see me making the drawer boxes and getting the rear plywood pieces ready.