Since it has been over three weeks since my post kicking off this project, it is time for an update.
I have been able to spend quite a bit of time on this project but until two days ago it was all spent in lumber preparation. Digging through my pile, selecting the best pieces and cutting to rough dimensions takes a lot of work when starting with rough cut lumber. With a good selection of boards on hand, I then started the process of flattening one side with my hand planes then running the boards through the planer to get them close to the final dimensions. I then left them stacked for a while before planing down to the final thickness.
Over the past couple of days I managed to get the four vertical panels glued up, and also the main shelf. On my next chance to work I hope to get the top glued together and get started on gluing up the floating shelves, then perhaps even get the chance to get it all sanded down and ready for some dadoes and notches.
After all the tedium of getting the rough lumber close to something usable, it was nice to finally see something start to take shape, even if it is only big flat chunks of wood! I am hoping that within a couple of weeks these chunks will start being assembled into an actual piece of furniture.
I am particularly looking forward to getting this project done because the temporary look in our living room, with the a/v components on the coffee table, is starting to wear on me. So now that things are starting to come together, I should have more to report back soon, perhaps even with some pictures.