My schedule didn’t work out as planned last week, but this past weekend things moved along nicely. I have completed construction of the base of the table. There is still a lot of sanding to do but for now I am ready to move on to the next step.
You can see the pine lumber on the inside which will support the full-extension drawer slides. This was a case where lack of planning actually caused more work than should have been necessary, but as I was drawing up the plans I just couldn’t quite visualize how I wanted this to work. I had decided to just wing it once I got to that point in the construction, but I see now I should have worked it out before hand. It is all together now and I believe it will work fine, but next time I will spend more time planning things out.
Also visible in the photos is where I have already done some pre-finishing on the inside of the case. This is water based polyurethane which will also be the exterior finish over Watco Danish Oil.
Next up I will start work on the drawer boxes and rough cut the boards for the top. The forecast is calling for weather that will be too cold for glue-ups this next week, so the best I will be able to do is get all of the parts cut out. After that I should just need one day of decent temperatures to get the final glue-ups done.
In the meantime I have started plans for a matching low entertainment center that will have a couple of interesting features, including a concealed compartment for a PC that will connect directly to a large-screen HDTV.