So here is my final post on my Proper Router Station build aka Blake’s Router Station – The Sequel. Please see my blogs section for the prior three posts if you are interested in the whole series. I fashioned the basic cabinet after one Blake built and I want to give him one last word of praise for a great design and execution. Thanks again Blake for answering all questions I threw your way. I added some personal touches, most particularly the accent stripe on the doors and drawers and the drawer pulls.
The cabinet is built under a Porter-Cable 7518 router attached to a Pinnacle v2 router lift and sits in a Woodpecker offset table outfitted with an Incra LS Positioner fence system. The cabinet incorporates a lower chamber that houses a small shop-vac for dedicated dust collection both above and below the router.
The final step was to mount the above-named hardware onto the cabinet base. I began by placing some foam weather stripping on the top edge of the plywood to act as a cushion/seal for the tabletop.
And here is the completed unit with the top in place, screwed down via the corner braces shown in the first photo. It was NOT fun reaching through the top drawer opening to get that rear screw in.
This photo shows the router chamber including the hole at the back that draws the dust down to the shop-vac and the lower chamber that houses the shop-vac:
Here you can see the shop-vac cord coming out the back of the cabinet and entering the upper chamber on the side, where it is plugged into the switch. The other cord is from the switch and gets plugged into the wall outlet. The router of course is also plugged into the switch. The DC hose comes from the shop-vac and runs up to the dust port on the fence system:
The bad news is, I tried out the unit and I have next to no suction. I will have to analyze this to determine where the problem lies. There is a wye connection in the lower chamber that takes the DC to the two locations and the vac is only 2.5 hp. Still, I would expect more suction than is being produced, so I will check all fittings and how well the upper compartment is sealed and go from there.
I thought I would post some close up photos of a drawer handle since they were not that visible in my prior post. Here you can see how I used the Dremel tool to complete the shape of letters when I didn’t want to scroll all the way through, for example, between the two “N”s. You also get a better view of the spacers I made for my fingers.
Also, while this could go in the review area of LJ, I thought I would share a bit about how impressed I was with the packaging of the Woodpecker tabletop. Here is a photo of how it came, corrugated and stiff cardboard, wooden supports all around and strapping. I was impressed and pleased.
Thanks to all who followed my progress on this build and to those stopping by now.
-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI