Well it has taken me over a month to complete the drawers and doors for this router station cabinet but they are finished. I wanted to make this a series but had some problems doing so when I made my first post on this project. If interested, you can find the prior posts amongst my blogs. To summarize, I am making a router station cabinet for my Incra LS Positioner, Porter-Cable 7518 router and Pinnacle v2 router lift, all of which sit on a Woodpecker offset router table. I am fashioning the project after one made by Blake but making personal modifications as I go along.
I decided to make the drawers from Baltic birch with solid maple fronts. The fronts are 7/8” thick, the sides and back are ½” and the drawer bottoms are ¼”. I had every intention of using dovetail joints where the sides meet the front but ran into difficulties which I attribute to my router. I have a Leigh jig and I ran test cuts in pine and they came out fine. When I installed the first drawer front (maple) in the jig, I found that the router was not holding/locking the depth of cut. Anyway, I shifted gears and opted to make locking rabbet joints at the front. The back sits in a dado cut into the sides and the bottom floats in a groove in the front and side pieces.
Here is a photo of the drawer pieces laid out followed by one of the assembled drawer:
When I conceptualized these drawers I decided I wanted to use some purpleheart and yellowheart as accent wood. I came up with a horizontal stripe design. I cut ¼”x 1/4” strips of the two woods (slightly oversized depth-wise), glued them up to form a ¾” strip, dadoed out a ¾” wide by ¼” deep dado and inlaid the strip into the drawfront. Here are a couple of shots of the work while in process:
The drawers are overlay drawers so a 3/8” rabbet is cut all around the inside edges and then I did a ¼” roundover on the front edges. I used a block plane and cabinet scraper to bring the stripe flush with the maple. I had the best luck I ever had with my card scraper. One of the photos shows the wonderful, thin curls I was getting as I pushed the scraper through the stock.
The most enjoyable part of this project to date was the epiphany I had one day about making my own drawer pulls. I got the idea to fashion the pulls into the names of my family! I have a wife and two daughters so I did their names and mine. I made the pulls from purpleheart. I drew our names freehand on paper in bubble-letter fashion, making them about 7/8” tall. I glued the names onto strips of purpleheart using adhesive spray. Then I broke out the scroll saw and went to work laboriously following the lines. I chose spots to keep solid so as to maintain enough stock to have a functional pull. I went back and used a Dremel tool to carve out the spots I didn’t scroll saw.
Here is a photo of the finished drawers:
Next, I needed a way to attach them leaving a space for my fingers. I milled purpleheart spacers making them 5/8” deep. I epoxied them to the pulls and after locating them on the drawer fronts, I clamped and drilled into them for the screws (drilled from the inside of the drawfront). I added some silicon caulk into the holes and on the back side of the screw head to hold them in place. I am pleased with the end result and so are my three ladies!
As for the doors, the top one is to access the router chamber and includes a floor register to provide take up air to the shop-vac in the lower compartment. The doors are rail and stile type with flat panels that include the accent stripe. I joined the rails and stiles with pockethole joinery. The pocketholes will show when the cabinet doors are opened but what the heck, this is a for a shop tool! For the time being, I have installed store bought door knobs on the doors. Eventually I might make some from purpleheart.
Here is a shot of the completed unit with the door knobs installed:
The two doors are made from some maple I already owned. It has a more amber tone than the rest of the cabinet but again, it is a shop tool. The finish on the unit is 3 coats of Minwax wipe on polyurethane with #000 steel wool “sanding” between coats. So this project is nearly finished. I added 6 glue blocks (actually triangles) which will be used to screw down the tabletop and I installed locking casters on the bottom of the cabinet. I think I will make one final post after I have placed the “business” portion on top. Thanks for checking in on me.
-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI