I am referring to this router station cabinet as Blake’s Cabinet, the Sequel. I made a favorite of Blake’s when I bought my LS Positioner and accessories, with the intention of one day making the same or a similar cabinet. You can see Blake’s blog series on his build here, “Incra Router Station”: http://lumberjocks.com/Blake/blog/series/358. For those who have already seen Blake’s blog on the build, this may be repetitive. However, I have departed from his build in some areas so it might still be of interest to you. This first installment covers the carcass (carcase if you prefer). I chose to make this from ¾” stock and splurged a bit as I bought a sheet of pre-finished maple ply. By doing a couple of glue-ups (the back and the divider) I was able to get the entire carcass, with the exception of the bottom, from the one sheet of plywood. The bottom is ¾” birch ply. The face frame is solid maple milled to ¾” by 2” and it is joined via pocket screw joinery.
I should step back to say that my router station consists of the Incra 17” LS Positioner, a Pinnacle router lift and a Porter Cable 7518, 3 ¼ hp router all mounted to a Woodpecker offset table. Here is a photo of the set up mounted to a temporary base I constructed while waiting to build this cabinet.
The table measures 27” X 43”. These were the guiding dimensions that helped me determine the dimensions of the cabinet. I made it 25” X 41 ½” X 36 ½” to tabletop height (incorporates the casters and tabletop thickness). I liked Blake’s idea of dedicated dust collection for the unit so I included the area beneath the router for a small Craftsman wet-vac. My set up incorporates dust collection above and below the router and will be covered in another installment.
I cut the carcass components to size and joined the divider to the back and bottom via a dado. Glue and screws from underneath hold the divider to the bottom and glue and toe nailed brads hold it to the back. I also cut a dado in the back, the left side panel and the left side of the divider for the shelf between the router and dust collection compartments. The remaining parts are joined via biscuits. The cabinet will sit on 3” locking casters. They can be seen in the first photo above.
Here are all the carcass components.
I learned from Blake’s blog that putting in the drawer runners after assembly can be quite a task so I made sure to do mine pre-assembly. I chose runners rated for 75 lbs and that allow ¾ extension. Here’s a photo of the drawer runners installed and attached to the divider and right side wall.
Once the divider was in place I began gluing up the sides. Here is a shot of the unit upside down and the right side being glued and clamped.
And here is a shot of the completed carcass. The hole you see is where the hose will exit to the above table dust collection.
Next I made the face frame. Here’s the back side of the face frame, showing the pocket hole joinery.
And here it is in the correct orientation.
Here is a shot of all the biscuits in place, ready for the face frame.
And finally, one of the face frame glue up. I used every long clamp I own for this one.
Next installment: The Switch and Dust Collection
-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI