Today was another big day for the shop renovation, perhaps even bigger than the skylights installation. I spent much of Friday night and all day Saturday, moving tools, disassembling my dust collection system and otherwise clearing the wall space. Then it was on to removing the T111 that I use on my shop walls. Since I had installed the siding with 8d nails, it was not a completely easy task to remove it. I was fortunate that John, my contractor, had cut through many of the upper nails when he installed the LVL (laminated veneer lumber) beam that now carries the load of the old roofing system. Still, there were plenty of stubborn 8d nails to get at. I used a pry bar and hammer to pry the siding away from the studs and in some instances I drilled around nail heads so they would pop through, I managed to remove all the T111. Next I removed the insulation and the electricity that was in the wall (I had already disconnected the wiring from any live circuit.).
This is what the shop looked like before the renovation began. It’s the wall to the left that was to come down.
This morning John arrived and was pleased with my weekend accomplishments. I left for a dental appointment and upon return, this is what I saw:
Yee ha! Open space! John took down the old door and the wall. All that remains is to remove the concrete lip between the old and new space and fill in the gap. John is subcontracting the demo to someone with a jackhammer. Here is another view of the non-existing wall:
It sure is nice to see for the first time, how much additional space I have. Again, the shop is going from eight feet wide to 23 feet wide. I also saw for the first time, how the daytime lighting will look and I am satisfied that the one wall window, the skylights and the window in the door will be sufficient for the space. More than likely, I will have overhead lighting on anyway. There is a door between the shop and the garage. I was standing in that doorway when I took the “before” photo. When I want cross ventilation, I will leave the garage door and the door between the two spaces open. They are in line with the window.
The vinyl siding has been placed on the exterior walls and the door installed. Although the air conditioner is not in place, the sleeve that holds it is. John sealed this opening well to prevent air/water infiltration.
I think once the concrete demolition is done, John will be just about finished and I will take over. I have decisions to make about where to run electricity for tools, whether to leave the roof rafters showing or put in a ceiling, etc. I have a plumber coming on Wednesday to discuss heating. If the heater I was using is not large enough for the new space, I have to decide on what to have installed. I am leaning towards a Modine Hot Dawg heater or something similar. A number of LJs have them and like them. For a woodworking shop you need to purchase the sealed combustion type.
I guess an update on the shed project is now expected. I completed the shingling and ridge vent installation last week so, the roof is sealed. I have started on the siding. Once that’s done, there’s rake boards and corner boards to put up and I will make a door and be finished. Thanks again for checking in on me.
-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI