Starting with the laminate countertop idea, I did some work on Sketchup to get an idea of what I wanted my workbench to look like. Here’s what the Sketchup model looks like.
Here’s some of my thoughts,
- I chose to go with a 29” tall top rather than use tall chairs like some benches require.
- The top shelf is 20” deep
- I placed the legs in a bit so that I’m not running into them as much.
- I recessed the upper shelf front support edge back so that I could put power strips on them.
- Lights could conveniently mount under the shelf and if they were towards the back would shine just fine down to the desktop.
- 2×4 parts are cheap but I need some fairly straight pieces
- You can’t see it in the picture but I put a 2×4 on the bottom of the benchtop mounted the short way so that it only goes down 1-1/2” below the bench bottom. I might run into it less that way.
-- Doug - When all you own is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.