I went to Harbor Freight and bought the clamping dial indicator with vice grips and gooseneck extension.
It’s really pretty cool.
Here’s a couple of pictures.
A couple of FWIWs…
- Although the goose-neck does adjust, there’s a pretty limited range on it.
- There are surprisingly few spots to clamp that allow the goose-neck to reach “just right”.
- No matter where I put the gauge on the back fence, it’s going to interfere with something like the fence lock down bolts.
- The depth adjustment gauge is pretty “tweeky”.
- Hard to tell just where the front of the fence is at vs the edge of the chisel..
Haven’t tried doing and real cutting to see how well it works for accuracy.
-- Doug - When all you own is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.