Too often I just jump in and don’t do a test. Well this was one of those times. I figured I could cut off the tops of the wood plugs using my Harbor Freight Multi-master clone tool and I really could have done it. I had a new very sharp bit which I had never used before and I chose to not try it on a test place, or to try it in a place it might not be seen. Instead I tried it on the top of the arm near the front of the chair. I ended up gouging the wood. To my way of looking at it, it doesn’t look good. Turns out that bit was way too sharp.
I switched to a blade without a serrated edge and it worked great. I set the blade flush on the surface, turned on the tool and sliced right through the plug. Sure, it will still need some sanding, but it looks pretty good.
Surprised how quick the wood glue dries in this instance.
Used a hammer to tap in the plugs. One of them split just below the surface. Not sure what to do about it. I may have to drill it out and replug.
-- Doug - When all you own is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.