LumberJocks

Outdoor Morris Chair #2: Cuts done

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by LegendInMyOwnMind posted 1084 days ago 872 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Gathering the materials Part 2 of Outdoor Morris Chair series Part 3: First leg done... Playing with jigs »

Finished the cuts yesterday. Realized that I was still one stick of wood short. Found a piece of cedar that might work although it seems pretty soft. Might actually make a nice accent being an aged piece of wood and I really love the smell of cedar. Maybe keep the bugs away as I’m sitting on the back porch.

Just cut the 5 degree angle on front and back legs. Realized I could have saved time had I cut one front and one adjacent piece at the same time. Line up bottom and do the widthwise cut at the same time as the shallow depthwise cut. Next time I’ll do better on simplifying so I don’t have to go back to the mitersaw so many times.

Didn’t have to cut too much off to get the second board to line up with the first.

Played around with the drill bit stops I bought yesterday at Lowes Depot and the plugs that cover screws. Not sure how do to this perfectly, but think it turned out OK. Are these normally glued too? When I did the bunkbeds I used the same method but never glued them. Takes a bit of tapping with a hammer to get them to sit flush with the top of the board. Guess that’s better than going in too easy.

Messed around with the Forstner bit. The design has a 1” diameter dowel that is 2” long. Having seen Morris Chairs, I couldn’t figure out how that wasn’t too long a piece considering both sides are 3/4” wide. Usually,on Morris chairs the dowels go into the arm and the support bar has matching holes/mortises. Finally guessed from the number of dowels that the intent is to put the dowel into the bar that goes across the back. The holes into the arm are drilled all the way through and the bar is over-inserted into the holes sticking out the bottom of the arm. Makes sense now. It may actually have said that in the instructions but I read them a couple of times until I figured it out. Finally saw a picture which helped me figure it out.

I want to at least get the legs, sides and front done today. Hopefully my laziness won’t overcome my desire to finish this project. I’ve really just begun.

My new glasses are really making this hard. There are a lot of 5 degree cuts in this thing and my glasses have that much angular distortion.

-- Doug - When all you own is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase