It’s been a while since I’ve updated on the garage conversion. It moves forward, slowly, but it is moving forward. While waiting for the money to free itself up to start on the walls, I’ve been getting a few small projects done to allow me to clear stuff away from the walls so I can get them insulated and clad.
First item I made:
I made it from Blue Stain Pine, that was really inexpensive. I messed up on the shelf alignment, so I figured I’d hang it on the wall and store finish and glue in there, once it’s warm enough to store glue.
Next came this.
It has two filters on the intake, and one on the exhaust. Between those is a used blower that I picked up for nothing from a local HVAC company. It cost me the price of a set screw in axle of the squirrel cage to make it work. 5/8”-ish thick ply for the body, and pine cleats to hold the filters and blower. The motor is direct wired into the cord with no switch. Instead I found a remote control outlet adaptor from a company called practecol. It was about fifteen bucks at target, rated for 10 amps. The motor draws six, it works real well. It’s also an RF remote opposed to IR, so it doesn’t need to be pointed at the reciever to work. So far the unit works real well, it has cut down on the dust after sanding. If I get an actual dust collector in the shop they’ll both help a bit.
Next I was able to put together a stand for the planer I was handed down from my father.
I splurged and made that from Birch ply that measured a true 3/4”, go figure! Made the dado cuts a snap, but it’s mostly just butt joints and screws. But I will stand on it with no compunction, so long as the casters are locked.
Finally, built from a little project in a PDF downloaded after subscribing to a magazine.
Finally I can find my towels, cleaner, WD-40 and rust cleaning stuff. I hate having to go searching for a roll of towels only to find them on the floor, covered in sawdust.
I know these projects aren’t anything fancy, but they have worked as excellent skill-builders. I’ve done things I’ve never attempted before to build these projects, such as dadoes, drawers, and jigsaw cuts. This working with flat pieces of wood is different from turning, but ultimately just, if not more, rewarding. Flatwork takes more time, but is a lot more useful in the end than another pen.
As soon as I’ve got a wall done, the lathe will be back in production, and I can move on to the occasional segmented work, etc, as the project progresses.
Next steps, something to store drill bits in, and the south wall.
-- -- Never entrust power to those who desire it.