LumberJocks

Heritage Bookcase from Estate Wood

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Lee Barker updated 1295 days ago 4 parts 3360 reads 21 comments total

Part 1: The raw material: not much to go with

1301 days ago by Lee Barker | 3 comments »

One of my sons was talking to a friend who shared that his dad had died and left some hardwood in his shop in Central Oregon. Joel’s friend wondered if I’d be interested in the wood. We talked a little about that, but nothing came of it. At Christmas time, with sons around, the subject came up again and we ended up with a truckload of wood and an agreement to build a bookcase in return for the wood that was left. It’s a three way win—Joel brokers this nifty conne...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Shelves and Adding Interest

1299 days ago by Lee Barker | 0 comments »

Well, if I had to make the sides out of 2-3” pieces, it’s reasonable to assume the shelves would be that way too. I used some even smaller strips in there knowing that once the piece was in use, the only bit visible would be the very front of the shelf and the lip. So onward with the pipe clamps and striving to get the twist out of the boards by reducing them to narrow pieces and then laying them out in ways that they would offset each other’s curving tendencies. Along ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Dealing with Twist and Stealing the Undesirably-Angled Feature

1298 days ago by Lee Barker | 4 comments »

Back to the dowels for a moment. I made a discovery about trimming them flush. In the past I have cut them flush with a no-set flexible saw and then sanded, but the result usually took down the field more than the dowel, so the surface wasn’t really flat. This time I flush cut them a little proud and then trimmed them with a very sharp block plane but instead of shooting right at them, I contacted the dowel and then sliced past it. The iron cut them surgically smooth, no tearout, an...

Read this entry »


Part 4: The Final Photo Session

1295 days ago by Lee Barker | 14 comments »

Finish was two coats of my own OV Secret Formula (one part Watco Natural, one part Satin polyurethane) followed by Watco Satin Wax applied ambitiously with 000 steel wool. I am pleased with the overall project but it seems slightly out of proportion to my eye. I think if it were an inch or inch and a half shallower I’d be doing handsprings throughout the asphalt. As it is, I am smiling beatifically and ready to see it escorted to its new home.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase