LumberJocks

Trestle Table Desks

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Lee Barker updated 1357 days ago 8 parts 14596 reads 21 comments total

Part 1: Milling the leg parts and mortising

1386 days ago by Lee Barker | 2 comments »

General outline: Two identical desks, 30×72, 6/4 cherry with a juniper accent somewhere. Progress shown here: The milled parts for the leg units. The verticals will be mortised into the feet and the opposite piece to the feet—what is that, the head? The shoulder? I think I like “shoulder” better. The juniper panels will be inset between the two verticals (femurs?). I’ve not yet decided how tall the panel will be, but the width is 5”. The feet ar...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Additional Mortising, air control, mortiser lube, A-Town apron

1385 days ago by Lee Barker | 1 comment »

The second run of mortises is in the legs. The tenoned rails will surround the juniper panels. Rather than squirt the air after each two holes, I looped a hose clamp around the air gun and trigger and used a nut driver to control it. (Nut driver is resting on the screw for the photo only.) It didn’t take much air to keep the work area clean. It was easier to get a bore – slide – bore – stack flow going when there was no interruption to work the air. The mortis...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Fixing a flub and stacking parts

1384 days ago by Lee Barker | 4 comments »

The dado for the juniper panels (see the image of the parts) is quite wide. I used a 1” straight router bit in the saw table. I was inattentive on one and let it get by about 3/4”. Though the error would likely never be seen, I decided to plug it. In the image you’ll see the plug glued in and the scrap from which it was taken. The second one shows the result of putting a little glue in the voids and sanding with a RO machine and 150x. All the parts are now machined f...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Shaping the feet and anticipating an uneven floor

1378 days ago by Lee Barker | 1 comment »

These desks will sit on a tile floor—notoriously uneven—so I needed to allow a little extra thickness at the end in case I need to install teenuts with adjustable nylon glides. I’ll keep that option open, perhaps prepping the bottom for the teenuts but not installing them unless necessary. To accommodate that, I needed to thicken the tips of the feet—an added half inch of cherry. I picked my radius—inch and an eighth—and the length ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Trestles glued up and ready to sand. Now: what's that stretcher going to look like?

1377 days ago by Lee Barker | 4 comments »

These went together beautifully, thanks to careful custom fitting and labeling tongues and grooves. As noted before, the structure is cherry and the panels are juniper. I haven’t yet envisaged the stretcher, so that’s the Monday project. It may be cherry, it may be juniper. Both are in stock. There was another insight that struck me today while I was thinking about the logistics of finishing these two pieces and how much real estate that would require and how much...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Creating stretcher, finishing substructure, gluing up tops

1369 days ago by Lee Barker | 3 comments »

The stretcher on a table like this is virtually lost to vision. The solution for me was a box beam which is juniper on the sides, to match the panels in the legs, and alder top and bottom. Attachment will be via countersunk bolts through the top of the shoulder into the top of the beam. The removable beauty panel, shown in the image of the single finished leg, will cover the end of the beam. It, too, will be lost to view for the most part, but I like the subtle inclusion ...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Tops final sanded and finished with a nifty lousy susan idea

1360 days ago by Lee Barker | 4 comments »

Using a Clampin’ Guide and a Skilsaw with a planer blade in it, I squared the ends of the tops and scribed the corner radius—some kind of convenient can—and cut that with a new blade in the Bosch jigsaw. After ROSing the edges to 150 I rounded over top and bottom 5/16 radius. Often I’ll use a smaller radius on the bottom, but this thickness looks so strong that, if anything, I wanted to lighten it up a little with the radius. Then I used an OS to 220...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Delivered, assembled and now in use!

1357 days ago by Lee Barker | 2 comments »

In the shop I installed the box beams in the leg units. One of the screws into the desktop was accessed from the end of the open section for the box beam, so I left off the cherry plug panel I had milled and finished earlier. Delivery was accomplished with a top face down on a clean blanket in the pickup bed, the unattached leg assembly on that and strapped down. Good enough for the half mile (!) drayage to the client’s office. Lather, rinse, repeat. Assembly: ten ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase