Just a little pruning of a loose tenon or two and epoxy part A met epoxy part B and I was ready to put it all together. The plan narrative says to leave the back slats loose. I was nervous about that, but I feel I need to trust the designer. He obviously made many of these in order to refine the design and the construction as he did. I felt the slats were too loose so I just inserted some space balls in the bottom mortises. Viola! Free to move, but no sloppiness permitted.
I used the plastic wrap to hold the back section together in the gluing up process, thinking that I could release it once all was together and tap the lower back rail to level if need be. It came in right on the money, so there it is.
Every angle on this chair is 5o one way or the other. One would think such a pleasing organic shape would have a more complex array of diversions. The beauty of this simplicity continues to this gluing process: All you need is six blocks cut at 85o!
Going back to earlier tasks on the chair: the other process suggestion is this: When you’re gluing up multiple bent pieces in a form, mark each one against the fixed portion of the form, both ends. This makes cutting them all to identical length MUCH easier. I wrote a reminder right on the form, once I figured this out.
It sits a little rocked back with the heavy clamp on the crest rail. I’ll post more images in these last laps. Today the task is inserting the diagonal blocks in the seat area and they, too, are epoxied so they’ll have to cure overnight. Then I can get serious about the final shaping of the 6 joints which were glued late yesterday. Today I’ll also fit the upholstery frame so it can go get purtied up.
Oh and the ears. I don’t know what I’m going to do with the ears yet. Please keep me away from air-powered cutting tools until I get a vision.
-- "...in his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"