All eight ends are glued, cleaned up and ready for the cap, which will be walnut. We put one together with plywood dummy caps so we could balance an upper end on it to see if 4/4 was thick enough for the cap. I think so.
Two qualified critics happened to be in the shop at the time we were doing this, and we had a fascinating discussion about the “look of strength” and how important it is. There was universal concern that the upper leg resting on a space in the lower end was faintly to mildly disturbing.
The consensus was to wait until the walnut was installed and then see if some kind of corbel was called for. We spoke of an individual one, right where the leg lands, or maybe a horizontal doubler of some kind that would extend from the center out both ways, thus being balanced and looking more intentional.
Here are some souvenirs from the process so far: excess staves, made intentionally, a rail end that was used to tweak the setups for cutting the tenons, and two gauges I made to get the stave intervals correct once they were green glued in place.
Next: caps, upper bunk safety rails and ladders!
-- "...in his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"