LumberJocks

Notes On Repairing Vintage Pressback Dining Chairs #3: On Glue

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Lee Barker posted 1004 days ago 777 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Clamping Stuff Part 3 of Notes On Repairing Vintage Pressback Dining Chairs series no next part

Most of the adhesive work involved polyurethane glue. I like Franklin’s recipe. Glue in the holes, water on the spindles. There is a sweet spot in the cure for cleanup time, but I don’t have it down quite yet.

I also discovered that, even though the lower section was rigid, there were a few spindles loose. With these I upended the chair and bored a 7/64 hole into the tenon part of the rung, angled so it would hit the void. The hole is just big enough to insert the nozzle of a small tube of CA glue. I just gave it a healthy squirt hoping it would be smart enough to glue the surfaces it could find and wet enough to expand the wood to tighten the joint.

It’s working so far.

-- "...in his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase