A scraper removed the excess glue. Looks like about 120 degrees of twist.
The other flat laminations that I had glued up in the same process were easy—clean them and square them and then octagonized them on the TS and they’re ready for rounding.
This was both bigger and harder to handle, and wouldn’t sit stably on the TS. I could have built a carriage I suppose, but instead I turned to my Ritter edge sander, 4×132, with 80 grit paper.
I clamped a stop on the table and held the stick at an upward angle and, turning it with my left hand, applied right hand gentle pressure to the belt while it was moving, releasing pressure while I reset my left hand for another twist.
It took about an hour, but it’s round, ok, roundish, straight enough, and looking pretty good. There won’t be a lot of filling to do, which is nice because poly glue requires one to clean out the gaps with dental tools—tedium well beyond medium. I slathered on some naptha so I could work on learning to spell the word and let you get a glimpse of the contrast in the laminates.
I worked on tapering it at the same time and that too seems about right. A 5/8” crutch tip will work on the small end. I’ll get it smoother and cylindricaller and get his approval (and the correct length measurement) before I install the handle. Should be done by the end of the week.
-- "...in his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"