Thursday last a very good client asked if I could make him a cane. “Unique” was his only request.
I have made canes before, but mostly by putting a T-handle on a limb of some gnarlment.
In pondering the word unique I couldn’t get past the cliche of multi-colored lamination with purpleheart in the middle. Hey, it looks great, looks right, looks strong.
Then I thought about giving it a twist.
First I cut my 1.25 inch stock (various species) to length—38”—and then stacked and line bored them. Then it was slicing time on the TS: 3/32” thick.
I stacked them for color—ash, cherry and mahogany, with a single piece of walnut in the middle—and pondered what next when Dan Zerbe walked in, saw what was going on, and said I’d need a tube to keep it straight. I had assumed it would just want to be straight, but I think he’s right.
I soaked the pieces (wire ties loosely through the holes) for a couple hours, wiped them down, spread my polyurethane glue and bundled the whole shebang in plastic wrap and installed the bolts. Things are bubbling away now; a sensitive mic could have picked up the molecular rumbling.
I slipped it into the tube, which I had tested for diameter and pruned the stacked slats to fit. But they’re getting bigger, both with moisture and the ubiquitous glue. I ended up pounding the last few inches.
Images show the setup: Tube in the vise, Crescent wrenches on the ends, clamp holding one in place. I let it sit over the weekend.
Monday first thing: Drive the tube off the stick—effort required—but there was no glue adherence to deal with. Just the densely bubbled glue.
I feared the glue in the joints, not being actually clamped, would separate them. Very little, it turned out—the twisting actually forced the surfaces together.
More to follow…
-- "...in his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"