Back to the dowels for a moment. I made a discovery about trimming them flush. In the past I have cut them flush with a no-set flexible saw and then sanded, but the result usually took down the field more than the dowel, so the surface wasn’t really flat. This time I flush cut them a little proud and then trimmed them with a very sharp block plane but instead of shooting right at them, I contacted the dowel and then sliced past it. The iron cut them surgically smooth, no tearout, and stopped when they were flush. A little touch with 180 grit and that was done.
For the back of the gallery (and the front of the toekick): The cherry material was twisted but I was enamored with some spalting. It was quite dramatic on one side, but perhaps too aggressive for this design. The reverse side had possibilities but the angle it took in the board was a discouragement. So, I whacked it out of the board and made it parallel!
To alleviate the twisting forces, I cut kerfs full length in the back, halfway into the board. I still had surface to glue and insert dowels, but the twist at rest was reduced by more than half.
Here it is installed:
And ready to finish!
-- "...in his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"