Well, if I had to make the sides out of 2-3” pieces, it’s reasonable to assume the shelves would be that way too. I used some even smaller strips in there knowing that once the piece was in use, the only bit visible would be the very front of the shelf and the lip. So onward with the pipe clamps and striving to get the twist out of the boards by reducing them to narrow pieces and then laying them out in ways that they would offset each other’s curving tendencies.
Along in here is where I realized the hoard included an ash board with a live edge. Hmm. That could be the top shelf, provided I design a little taper in the sides to compensate for the narrowness of the ash. Sounded like a nice way to easy the blockyness of the typical bookcase. The live edge wandered a bit but I found the sweet spot where there were identical widths and let that be the length of all the shelves.
I had already decided to put a gallery top on it. so that meant a nice backing piece for that, too. I’ll detail that in a later post.
But alas the ash had a serious twist in it. I decided to relieve the bottom of the board with my PC panel saw, so I ran some somewhat random kerfs into it. Success! The cuts relieved the twist enough that I felt like I wasn’t introducing excessive stress into the carcase.
I hope you enjoy the pix and next post I’ll get into the detail opportunities that the material at hand presented.
Attachment of the shelves to the sides was via glue first, clamped square, and then adding dowels later and cutting them flush.
-- "...in his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"