Juniper would appear to be a hard wood based on its response to nature. It’s actually quite soft. The tenons, cut on the same tenon cutter setup as the floating top table parts, weren’t as true as I wanted.
On the plus side, the soft wood fibers tore some in the tenon process and likewise the mortising (hole boring, actually) so the slip fit was smoother than the cherry, which was too snug.
I glued up a subassembly of the two legs with the shorter stretcher. Dry fit told me I didn’t need a jig to hold it square, just careful placement of the clamp faces to insure the legs would be parallel. Yellow glue.
An hour later I had bored the top (from the top, so there would be no blowout showing there) based on layout from the dry fit. There was some major faith-leaping here because some deflection on the Shopsmith table made some of the tenons not quite centered on the leg.
For the final leg glueup and the top attachment I used polyurethane glue for its longer open time and gap filling properties. I moistened the tenons and swabbed the glue into the mortises with an acid brush.
It came out very nice, square-wise. I tested it on the saw table and it looks like just a little handwork with some 120x on a block and it will sit flat. The tenons, sliced off flush with the top, look nice (but they could be once size larger visually). They’ll look better once the finish is on because they will darken.
Perhaps tomorrow some final easing of the edges of the leg structure, a little logo branding and it will be ready for finish.
I’ll give it a scathing design critique then. Right now I’m basking in the glow of everything fitting nicely.
-- "...in his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"