Cherry is a peculiar critter in the way it responds to heat. It seems to be a char, but it’s not dark like other woods are charred. It’s more reddish.
Even stranger, in milling the round tenons, this reddish stuff appeared on the dowels and it was like a thin crust—it could be popped off in places. It is not like charred wood, it’s more like a substance was drawn out of the wood by the heat and it cooled.
Past midway in the game I figured out how to minimize its presence, using rate of feed and rate of removal.
Fortunately the tenon into the mortise, completed on the drill press, was too snug, so I have good reason to remove the red stuff from the tenons, which seemed best accomplished on the little 1” belt stationary belt sander.
The tenons are 9/16 long and the stock is 1 1/8 square, which is all fine and dandy except at the top of the legs where the skirt pieces meet. Theoretically the tenons should be mitered there.
I drilled the end subassemblies for the lower tenon from the long subassemblies but did not drill the top. Now that those dowels are glued in place, they’ll become part of what contacts the tenons in the final assembly. And I figured out, since everything is square in section, I still can use the one setup on the drill press for drilling all the holes in the tops of the end assemblies. (If the legs had not been square, I would have had to do two setups.)
I’ll do a whole lot of sanding next and design the floating top structure before I bore and assemble the subassemblies.
One image shows the little jig for putting a slight bevel on the ends of the legs so they don’t split off.
Progress is good, but I’ll not meet the Friday delivery deadline, I can see that. Diplomacy with the client today.
-- "...in his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"