In the shop I installed the box beams in the leg units. One of the screws into the desktop was accessed from the end of the open section for the box beam, so I left off the cherry plug panel I had milled and finished earlier.
Delivery was accomplished with a top face down on a clean blanket in the pickup bed, the unattached leg assembly on that and strapped down. Good enough for the half mile (!) drayage to the client’s office. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Assembly: ten screws per desk, always double checking the screw length, then two finish screws (#1 Robertson heads) to hold on each plug panel. I had previously scribed a center line on the underside of the top, so alignment was a simple end-to-end measurement.
Client is pleased, the workmanship was good, the material honored and efficiently used. Bill presented. I usually get the check in the mail in three days. Life is good.
The learnin’: The waterborne material grays the cherry more than I would like. Next time I would use ProFin or a similar wipe on finish for the tops. Also, the WB finish just doesn’t get as flat as I’d like. It was acceptable to me given the function of the pieces, but I’ll be happier when we get the next generation WB finishes.
I liked the proportions of the legs to the top, both end view and side view. This is different from what you’d do for a dining table when you want seating at the end.
The corner radii could have been a smidge smaller. They’re just a bit too showy for my taste.
The marriage of the cherry and juniper is a success.
I did not need the leveling feet on the tile floor but I am glad I prepped the piece for that possibility.
Now on to the next project! This blog series is a wrap!
-- "...in his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"