Here are some views of the current situation with the garage that I intend to use as a workshop. As you can see, it is in need of some serious attention. It’s 3.1m x 6.4m (about 10’ x 20’) which seemed quite big to me, but now seems tiny by comparison with some of the workshops here at Lumberjocks! This is one of 3 garages, so at least I will have exclusive use of it.
It used to be used as a garage, boiler house and fuel store. Since moving in to the house, I’ve removed an old oil storage tank and other debris, and fitted some shutters to the empty window opening to keep out the worst of the weather.
Impatient to start (I’ve been waiting nearly 50 years for a dedicated workshop), I moved in a couple of machines and put up some tool hanging boards and shelves.
However the time has come to try and do a better job, so this post is to record the starting position. Progress will be slow, as I have a number of other commitments, and renovation work to do on the main house (which my better half inexplicably considers more important!). I also have to work to a pretty tight budget – especially given the sterling/euro exchange rate.
Along with the evident cosmetic problems, the roof leaks, the floor is extremely uneven and the electrics are old and unreliable. As well as leaking water, the roof lets in a lot of vegetative debris (the canal tiles allow for very efficient ventilation). This is the reason for the machine covers.
I think the next job will be to deal with the old water heater and boiler flue (shown below). The flue is asbestos, so I think I will be hiding it rather than removing it.
The water heater will go, along with the old plumbing. I will box in the flue, and fit a new consumer unit to supply power and light. I need to deal with the roof problems and then insulate and box out the ceiling. The window at the back needs attention, and there is a load of garden-related junk to move to another shed.
That’s all for now, thanks for looking!