The last, but not least, section of ceiling is the flat area (about 99” x 69”) that has been worrying me for the past 2 1/2 years. It wasn’t supposed to exist; the original plan was for a simple cathedral ceiling. Responsibility falls back on the lousy framing contractor again.
Back to making lemonade… I had been planning to turn this flat area into a “feature” with a star quilt pattern up there. That was back when the rest of the ceiling was going to be conventional horizontal boards. As it turned out when David got up there measuring things, it was as out of whack as the rest of the room. With the sides being unequal, my star pattern would look unbalanced.
We went back into design mode again. Sketching different stars, half stars, maybe a sun, maybe just horizontal T&G. I ultimately came up with this modified compass rose design.
David showed me a neat trick to make a jig so I could easily cut all the triangles for the points. Maybe he’ll do a blog on that as well.
Here it is from the side view on the easel/ramp David engineered to get up to the ceiling.
The easier answer turned out to be cutting the pattern panels into quarters and David could manipulate them up by himself.
Meanwhile, I did the final sanding and soaked in a coat of BLO before it went up. Wow, does that grain pop!!! It’s going to look amazing when all the walls and the rest of the ceiling get the oil treatment.
Here it is in place:
A happy David:
And a happy Mary Anne behind the camera!
The room isn’t as big as it looks. There is a lot of size distortion because of the extreme wide angle lens I used to get everything in the picture. The room only about 400 sq. ft., mostly taken up by my big ol’ hot tub.
There are still a few more things to be done to trim out and finish the room. But now, thanks to David, all the big interior jobs are finished. I can look forward to enjoying the room and my spa while I work on the rest at my leisure. I’ll keep y’all posted as it gets done.