LumberJocks

Big cabinet for the new home

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Lalen updated 08-03-2018 04:51 PM 6 parts 6699 reads 16 comments total

Part 1: Rough drawing - concept

04-21-2018 06:07 PM by Lalen | 5 comments »

So… moved into a new house a few months ago and my wife needs some more storage for her serving dishes, bowls, cake plates and so on. (She has a lot of things to set up for parties etc) We looked at a lot of things on line, then put together a design that will fit her storage needs, and what I think I can make. This will be my biggest build project to date. This is the rough idea. I haven’t added molding details to the drawing We will decide that as I go, but I mainly wa...

Read this entry »


Part 2: This thing will be heavy!

05-10-2018 03:13 AM by Lalen | 0 comments »

Well, I got started breaking down the plywood parts. 10 sheets of 3/4, this thing is really going to be heavy. Components of the big cabinet. 3 carcasess and 3 drawer boxes will be plywood. I got Lowes to do the initial breakdown. but just one cut each sheet of plywood. The only thing cut to final size was the backs. at 33” by 96” I didnt want to trim them if I didnt have to. so I hoped they would give me a nice square cut.. They came out fine though a little rough. ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Design change, big dado setup, rabbets and an oops.

05-13-2018 01:55 AM by Lalen | 0 comments »

Design change. More difficult but I think this one looks much better. Primarily changed up the door design to go inset with an upper and lower cabinet and with more glass panes. Went from 6 to 12 doors. We still haven’t decided on the detail for drawer fronts. Crown molding will be more ornate. Compare to the original. I was really concerned about getting the interior dados lined up for the sides and back. I knew it wouldn’t go together well if they weren...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Big stuff is done, DIY bun feet.

06-22-2018 10:38 AM by Lalen | 0 comments »

All that remains is doors and drawer fronts! Here is the current status. Sorry its a bit dark, but its a black cabinet and I still need to get some lights added to the new house. I included my 8’ ladder for scale. Total storage capacity is about 96 cubic feet. The 3 cabinets were each 8’ high by 34” wide, 19.5” deep outside dimensions. I made the base 5.5” high and inset 3/4” to clear the baseboard then the crown molding added another coup...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Working on the doors: Need opinion on reinforcements.

07-06-2018 12:13 PM by Lalen | 5 comments »

Changed the design back to bigger windows, and boy am I glad. Making 12 doors required 72 parts. Here is a dry fit of one upper and lower door. I used the Glass Panel Door router set from Sommerfeld’s Tools. I found his videos on youtube and found it very helpful and so I ordered his set and followed his process. Here is my question. Because my lower doors are fairly large (47”x16”) I am wondering if I may need to reinforce the corner joints. Here is a couple ...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Its done! Wrap up, "Once you go black......"

08-03-2018 04:51 PM by Lalen | 6 comments »

Spread over three months, this thing is finally done. Quite the adventure and I learned a lot. Just wanted to share some final in-use pictures and thank those who gave input. One bit of feedback early on led me to the change of the doors from 6 top to bottom to 12 with a small upper and a lower door. I also put 3 hinges on the lower door to ensure it is well supported over time. (middle one is off center so it won’t interfere with the shelf.) For those who expressed interest in ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com