So I have had the last week off of work and have been trying to focus on cleaning and reorganizing my workshop. Now that I moved all of my non woodworking related stuff into the metal building I put up I was left with one hell of a mess.
After 1 solid day of cleaning look what I found, my long lost woodworking shop!!!
Of course that is not good enough. Now that I have all this room I want to better organize everything and get a better workflow. Time for some cabinets & benchtops!!
Does anyone have a track saw they want to give away? I am getting tired of this method!!
After cutting that all up it was time to break out the old Kreg Jig #LetsmakeJayBatesProud
I quickly learned that my massive assortment of Kreg Clamps (I have 3 lol ) was no where near enough!!
Before anyone asks this was not a mistake but actually planned. I decided rather than make 1 dedicated pantry cabinet I would make 3 30” tall cabinets and put them on top of each other. My reasoning behind this was 2 fold. First reason is that I thought it would be nice to have a couple 1 1/2” thick heavy duty shelves in the cabinet. The other reason (and main reason) was I wanted to kind of future proof this layout. If I ever decide to change my layout then I did not have to deal with a dedicated pantry. I could simply remove the face frame and use them as 3 individual cabinets if I decided too. This is also why I did not glue my face frames to the boxes. I just decided to have them held in place with screws & pocket holes.
All Trimmed Out
And now a worktop
You may have noticed that the last 30” of the top was not finished. That was because I had a game plan for that area. I decided that having an entire 10 foot stretch of completely flat countertop could prove useful at times and is almost unheard room in a garage workshop. My Rigid Sanding Station (That I should have by the end of the month) is going to sit at that end of the top. I wanted to be able to easily get it out of the way though if I wanted to so I decided to put it on a fliptop.
I just noticed while posting this that I did not have a picture of the completed fliptop so I will have to get that in the next blog update.
During all of this my Dust Collector angered me so I had to whip it in shape. It was in a craigslist deal that I had picked up with some other tools. I had originally just threw it up reusing the piping that had come with the lot. You can see the crapping aluminum piping that spewed dust from every crevice. I decided to use PVC. Also it came painted It also came painted in god awful Florida Gator colors with a Chicago Cubs sticker on it I also had to remedy that. I am a die hard Buckeye orginally from outside of Cincy so here is the new and improved Dust Collector in Bengals Colors!
I have plans to continue the dust collector around the shop but this was enough for the big tools for now until I get everything finalized and tools in their permanent locations.
Last but not least… I finally got the wood for my new split top roubo workbench milled up and ready for glue up! This was just a dry fit to see how the jointing & planning went
Also received the wood for my vises this week. Thanks Bell Forest!
Well next on the list is to get my hardware for doors & drawers for the new cabinets, get the top glued up and get the base together. Until next time!
-- - "But old news can change, as memories float downstream. So don't judge me by my failures, only by my dreams"