I forgot to write the final part!
So the fence, which it seems to me is the main bit, is sort of done. Tested a bit and I’m cautiously optimistic. I just need to mount it somewhere.
So I scouse around for a bit of flat wood to mount it. Since it’s really a hand-held router, it doesn’t plunge too much, so the wood can’t be too thick. I guess I could plow out a recess for it in something major like a kitchen work top – I have a piece of that from the DIY shop bin. I could laminate something – I have several chunks of plywood I got a friend to bring back from the UK a few years ago for a project that never happened. But I’m not sure, yet, how big I want the table to be – if I cut it too small that’ll be tragic, and if I cut it too big, well, it’ll be too big, and me being who I am I’m unlikely to cut it down.
So I decide to use the existing base – turned the other way around…
The fence is never going to be permanently attached, so this is no biggie – this way I can play with it and see what I should do next.
I decide to actually attach the table top to my workmate, rather than using a couple of bench woofers – it always slid around a bit with those. And, while I’m at it, I put some spacers underneath – it was always annoying that there were places I couldn’t clamp because bits of workmate got in the way.
So I’m good to go.
Baptism by fire it is!
So I made this project...
which, frankly, I’m pretty pleased with – “proof of concept” became “proved”!But not all is rosy in the workshop…
- The table top wobbles more than it used to! My bolts holding the table to the workmate are significantly smaller than the holes they go through. Guess I’m gonna have to fix that.
- The table just isn’t wide enough – for this small project it was, but for bits of wood a bit longer it isn’t going to hack it.
- I really need a measure on there – if you lose count than, frankly, you’re, now, what’s the word, several spring to mind, let’s keep it PG13 and go with “Stymied”
- The idea of lifting the table above the workmate was a good one. Well, in theory. Problem is that I can’t clamp downwards – ie with the handles below the table. Again, on this project they didn’t get in the way, but they will. I think that would go away if I made the top bigger – then it would overhang and all would be well.
- However, the most significant challenge was that, whilst I can move the fence with serious accuracy (I did a 1/4mm movement and it worked!), you can’t actually position it with any accuracy at all. On that box above, I could do 2 of the jataba slots with the same setup, but, because I went for asymmetrical positioning (of course I did!) there was no algorithmic way of positioning to make the other pair of cuts. I got away with it with careful measuring and a test cut (and the 1/4mm reposition), but that isn’t optimal.
In summary – I deem this a result – incremental positioning for the 1 euro cost of a threaded rod!
-- "Do not speak – unless it improves on silence." --- "Following the rules and protecting the regulations is binding oneself without rope."