LumberJocks

Blondie's Bridal Chest

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Ken90712 updated 09-16-2013 03:14 PM 9 parts 20768 reads 121 comments total

Part 1: Milling the Sapele and geeting started.

02-17-2013 02:09 AM by Ken90712 | 12 comments »

Blondie told me she wanted a Bridal Chest for the end of our bed. We all know when the Boss say’s they want something we get on it. Knee Surgery got in the way a bit, so the wood was in the shop dying to cut. Really it was …. Smile. These plans were written and published By fellow LumberJock Robert (Bob) Lang. I purchased his book on how to use Google Sketchup for woodworkers and I must say it is amazing. I’ll be doing a review on that later. I love Greene and Greene and the Ar...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Mortise and Tenon's done, Top dry fitted.

02-21-2013 11:42 PM by Ken90712 | 16 comments »

Chest is coming along nicely. I finished the Mortises on my drill press yesterday, there were around 32 of them needing to be made. They’re 3/8 by 1 inch deep. I bought the Grizzly Mortise attachment for my Delta 18 inch Drill Press. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mortising-Attachment-Kit/H7789 I read some reviews that some people did not like this product so I was a little worried. My thoughts were my drill press is just as strong as any mortise machine, so what the heck. It worked fine....

Read this entry »


Part 3: Cutting the 45's and Gluing the Legs Together.

03-03-2013 01:43 AM by Ken90712 | 11 comments »

Saturday mornings is usually Blondie’s day to clean the house top to bottom. With that said, her house is spotless and rarely needs cleaning unless I’ve been home alone… LOL However, I was instructed to play outside for a few hours to not get in the way. Off to the Wood-shop I go, Yea! Today I needed to cut the 8 legs 45* miters and then glue them together. I made the cuts just short or the required line on all 8 then re-cut them using a skim cut to hit the line perfectly...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Starting the Veneering for the 11 Panels.

03-11-2013 10:33 PM by Ken90712 | 13 comments »

I had a busy week that stopped me from getting much done in the Woodshop. Between work and the Fred Hall Fishing Show and some unexpected plumbing issues under the house not a lot got done. Panels rough cut awaiting veneer I squared up the leg ends and ensured the legs were all square and dimensionally matched one another. I then started on making 3 cold press clamps set-ups. I had 4 press screws and found that McMaster Carr has a really good price compared to woodcraft and Rockler. htt...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Press Remake for Veneering Panels

03-19-2013 01:00 AM by Ken90712 | 9 comments »

I made some Veneer press’s for this Blog I’m writing on building Blondie a Bridal chest. I made them out of Douglas fir as an experiment, after a cpl uses I knew this was not going to work. It flexed and I started hearing cracking. So as Tim Allen use to say, “We need more Power. LOL” So off to the Metal store for a 20 foot stick of 1 1/2 sq. tubing @ 120 gauge, which is close to 1/8 inch thick. 40 bucks, I figure it is cheaper than hardwood. Plus I get to play with my w...

Read this entry »


Part 6: 3 Panels Veneered and Top Dry Fitted

03-26-2013 11:55 PM by Ken90712 | 12 comments »

Well I made some progress on Blondie’s Bridal Chest. As some of you know, I had to weld up some new veneer clamps as the wood ones were flexing and cracking. I veneered the front and backs of 1/2 MDF panels with Pecan Pecky Veneer. I then squared the panels & cut down to finished size. Once I was sure of the measurements of each opening I cut the rabbets on the backside of the panels to slide into the dados. I used a cut offs to get the right thickness to have a slight friction fit. ...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Glued up the Top & all 11 Panels Finally Veneered.

04-02-2013 10:28 PM by Ken90712 | 12 comments »

Well these four days off were a busy one. I was constantly going out the shop and garage to either glue up another panel for 4 hours or to apply another coat of Enduro Var to the panels for the top. A big Thank-you to Steve, (spalm) suggesting and/or reminding me that finishing the panels before they go in would be a good idea. Sometimes I get tunnel vision and might have missed this even though I know better LOL The panels require 4 hours under clamping pressure and 24 hours to...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Glue ups & sanding continue and Top starts getting finish applied.

04-08-2013 11:03 PM by Ken90712 | 15 comments »

Well this Blog will be a short one. All the panels now have 5 coats of Enduro Var from General Finish’s on both sides. The top has been glued up, and both sides sanded to 320 grit. Today I put a coat of Seal Coat on both sides of the top and tomorrow, after a light sanding I will start spraying the finish on the top. I have started gluing up one of the sides and tomorrow will glue up the other side. I ran out of time, as I work tonight. Then I can start sanding some more lol. I will then be ...

Read this entry »


Part 9: The end is near!

09-16-2013 03:14 PM by Ken90712 | 21 comments »

Just a quick update on Blondie’s Bridal Chest, she has been waiting for this to be finished for some time now. We are just finishing up construction on the front of the house. I have been pulled in 100 directions and have worked on this off and on for a while now. I am very close to being 100% complete. Cpl more coats of finish, rub it out and finish mounting the hinges. The cedar bottom is installed. Here are a Cpl pics of the 7th coat of finish.Thx all comments welcome. Oh and a pic of o...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com