Finally finished the Entertainment Center.
Fist of would like to thank all our fellow Lumberjocks who helped and gave me advice and support throughout this project….
• Woodwhisper for color ideas, Charels Neil for my streaking dye help, Storemore for glass top idea and Spalm, Blackcherry, Gary K, Childress, Ken C, Lee Jesbernger, Joe Lyddon, Degoose, Lew, Plantek, Don H, TDV, Rick Demmington, Mafe, Dennis Grossen, 3fingerpat, Beginningwoodworker, DCLW, Scott Byran & any that I forgot!!!!! You all have been supportive and people I respect and would call new friends!!!!
• Total money spent on materials for this project $1100. This does not include some new tools that I just had to have LOL…
Some quick amounts; 300 Lumber, 190, ½ inch glass top, 60 Dye Stains, 180 Plywood, 75 Enduro Var , 35 Seal Coat, 20 Screws, 38 Blotch control, 75 Hardware, 60 Spindles, 30 Black back and some odds and ends.
• Some tools I just could not live without LOL
The new 5500 Earlex sprayer, Hatachi Skill saw, Inlay kit & bits which I didn’t use, Porter cable ¼ sheet sander, Porter Cable Biscuit Jointer & a new hand plane.
Total hours spent = 120 hrs total. As some of you know, I had a cpl set backs using the dye. It started streaking something fierce. So I handplaned the top back down to bare wood and started over. End result I was very happy that choose to do this.
• I used the plans from Woodsmith’s book called, “Bookcases; Cabinets & Shelves. I changed the dimensions so my electronics would fit along with the thickness of the top. I choose to make double raised panels for the sides and raise panels for the doors as well. I Just love the floating glass top which came from Storemore, thx bro!
• New things I learned and tried as a growing woodworker.
Using dye stains and glaze. Working with Epoxy, filling all the knots to highlight them instead of hiding them. Doors and drawers being inset instead of overlapping the face frame. (This took some time to get right, and I have a whole new respect for those of you that make this look so easy!) Using a handplane for such a large top, I got to do this twice thx to the dye problem LOL… Getting better at spray finishing as well. And much more to say the least!
Seems unbelievable to me I started this project 82 days ago. I realize that I work full time along with overtime to boot, and have had a cpl trips and obligations to attend but it just does not seem that long. With 120 hours invested in this, I am glad to be finally enjoying it. Some of the pictures have some weird shadows and what looks to be flaws in the finish but we all know that our pics do not always do our projects justice. My neighbors & friends who stop by to have a brew out of our Keg system have been watching the progress. They stopped by and saw the finished product yesterday and think I should change professions LOL… Not a good idea with 120 hrs invested, I think I will stick to Aircraft Maintenance and do this for fun.
Some electronic info, Onkyo THX receiver, Sony 400 disc player, Sony Blue-Ray, 36 channel clean power and equalizer, speakers are custom made by Aperion Audio, and last but not least, my new Baby! 64 inch Samsung 8000 series Plasma man this is baby is sweet!
Thank-you again everyone for all of your support!
Happy Fathers day to all of you who are fathers and grandfathers!
Most of all I thank Blondie, who always supports my hobby and never questions the money I spend or my ideas of building things. She spent her Birthday helping me set all this up along with being excited and having fun doing it, this is what she chose to do. After 18 years, she is still my best friend!
-- Ken, "Everyday above ground is a good day!"