This would be my frist attempt at making raised panel doors, so I was a bit nervous and unsure how this would go. Before the christmas break in 2008, I researched some router bits and found the Freud 97-108 bit set. I went over to Rockler and talked to them and they said this bit set is excellent! The person in line behind me said he has them and highly recommends them. I just love them. They make a very professional looking panel and I was soooo impressed at how easy making raised panel doors really is!
So, I get the bits home only to find out I needed a larger opening in the router table plate. The brand new bits didn’t fit! Well the rail and stile bits fit fine, but the panel bit was about 1/4” too wide! arrrgh. I couldn’t believe it. This led a few hours of online research and finally another trip to Rockler. They gave me another router plate which I had to grind out about 1/2” of aluminum in the middle. Now I have two plates, which actually works out fine. This issue is that I have a smaller Porter Cable 890 router, and if I had just spent more money on the 3 1/4 hp router, I would not have had the plate problem /sigh – I never seem to have the right tools – lol. I was just thrilled that Rockler got me setup without having to buy a new router. Mine setup works, and makes doors just like the pro’s!!
Just after Christmas I had time off so I went router crazy. I made several test cuts with the rails and stiles. I watched the cd that came with the bits and studied all of the formulas. Then I came up with dimensions for a small door I could make out of 1×6 and 1×4 cheap pine boards I got from home depot. I had a blast that week, and I learned a lot. I felt comfortable with my new toys, so I started preparing for the real deal. Next up – creating the plans for the Cherry Hope Chest.