LumberJocks

Summer Joinery Entry Shaker Cabinet

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Karson updated 07-28-2007 06:02 PM 4 parts 15313 reads 29 comments total

Part 1: How I got started

07-28-2007 04:03 AM by Karson | 6 comments »

After Martin announced the Summer Contest and the Themes Garden Project and Wood Joinery I started thinking about what I wanted to build. The contest rules state “Wood Joinery – Let’s get technical – but without glues, metal nails, screws or other mechanical fasteners! Yes, this is the “WOOD JOINERY” challenge for all you LumberJocks out there. Let’s see what you are made of – or rather what your woodworking project is made of. If you can build it wit...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Continuing with the construction

07-28-2007 04:59 AM by Karson | 6 comments »

One thing nice about not being allowed to use glue, No glue clean up and you can pre-finish all of the parts before assembly. On my finishing blog I wrote about using Pumice and Rottenstone as a wood filler, I thought I’d try something different on this cabinet. I used my private blend Danish Oil (1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil BLO, 1/3 varnish, and 1/3 Mineral Spirits). I squirted it on the boards and used a 120 grit Random Orbital Sander (ROS) to sand the oil and sanding dust. In doing that I wa...

Read this entry »


Part 3: The quest continues, Were getting close now.

07-28-2007 06:02 AM by Karson | 11 comments »

Time to turn my attention to the back. The locking mortise and tenon had been designed and it was now time to cut the mortises in the sides of the back. They were marked thru the holes in the sides and tape placed on the back to give the ends of the mortises. Using the horizontal router table. A view from the side. All of the wedge key tenons were made long so they are now being cut to the appropriate length minus 1/8” to allow for the back to move. And cut the wedge tenons to the co...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Almost Done - Well really its done now,

07-28-2007 06:02 PM by Karson | 6 comments »

Almost Done> As I was reading the previous posted blogs on the construction of the Summer 2007 LumberJocks Joinery, I noticed that I failed to complete the posting of the latch for the cabinet door. Not only had I failed to post it, I had failed to install it. I wanted to use something like a clothes pin. The little loop that catches the wire for hanging clothes. I had created my wire simulation out of wood. This was installed in the end of a shelf board. The space behind the Holl...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase