After I got the counter top in I did the thing which makes your heart beat fast. I cut a hole in the top of the sink.
It was planned, but it doesn’t make it any easier.
Once that hole is there, there is no going back.
So for the next 3 hours, I put in the faucet.
Hooked up the new Dish Washer.
And put in the cabinet that will hold the trash containers.
And what do you get. A plumbing nightmare. The drains from the two sinks are at a different height. and are a different height from the original sink. The water line for the dishwasher wouldn’t fit so a new flexible hose was used. The drain line for the dish washer was too short to fit the fitting on the disposal. So the disposal had to be turned 90 deg. and then all of the waste lines had to be put together.
I was only able to make everything fit by using 2 flexible drain pipes. Of course the hot and cold water lines had to be replaced for the sink because they were all different lengths.
So here is the view. Only use one eye.
So that was all last night. I went to bed tired. I got up this morning with my wife telling me that she doesn’t like the new faucet. Of course the hole is already there. Our options are cut down. She wanted a higher /taller faucet. I knew she did, and I was surprised when she picked the one that she did. Maybe she was going for the price!
She went to the store and I went outside to work on the last piece of Corian. This will be the return that goes over the dishwasher.
It’s small 43” X 25 1/2”. The only thing that is a little different from the one that was removed is it’s longer, because my base cabinets are 4” longer.
This is the space cadet that has been doing all of the work. Hearing protection, Dust protection, Safety glasses and a full Tyvek Haz-Mat suit. It was 32 deg this morning in the driveway and the Tyvek suit keeps me warm. I’d hate to use it during the summer.
First I trim off the lower pieces to be flush with the top surface. I use a pattern router bit with the bearing on the top.
I trim off the support pieces that level up the Corian top to the cabinets.
I then do all of the Ogee profile, sand it and polish it and bring it into the house.
Visible is the glue block that supports the glue line and bonds the two separate pieces together.
Also visible is the wooden blocks that I’ve put on the surface with hot melt glue. I put a square against the wall so that all of the blocks would be straight in line with the glue line and each other.
I spread the glue and slid the return piece into position. And I put on the clamps.
You can see the glue squeeze out that is required. This is not woodworking. You want the squeeze out that that tells you the the seam is not glue starved.
You let everything harden, about 2 hours. I take off the clamps.
I sand the seam with 80 grit, 220 grit, and wet/dry Abalon sheets at 360, 500, 1000 and 2000. The Abalon sheets were used with soapy water.
I did a little fancy routing and I had to cut into the molding so that the Corian top would fit in.
We bought the new faucet so I guess I’ll go now and complete it.
Tomorrow is Mother-in-law day so I’ll be offline for about a week.
Have a great week.
Back again. I got the new faucet installed. it wasn’t too bad, same MFG. but a couple of different connections.
I’m telling my mother-in-law that we are going for the new open look, so you can always see what is in the cabinets. She might accept that. I know my wife won’t.
-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia firstname.lastname@example.org †