Well I took the counter top back out to the driveway today to glue the two pieces together. (See previous Blog in this series)
I set up the Corian on my sawhorses in the driveway and pre set all of the clamp that I’d need to hold the pieces while the glue dried.
The long MDF strips were to keep the surface from bowing while the two pipe clamps pulled the seam together. A piece of maple was put on the edge to keep the pipe clamps from breaking off any pieces on the edge.
I then put on the glue and clamped it together.
The seam seemed to have some glue pop through the top surface, which is what I wanted.
After the glue setup I took off all of the clamps.
The seam had some flow out. You need that to get an invisible seam when finishing it.
I took a 100 grit random orbital sander to the top to clean up the glue line. It was 80% a great job, and 20% pretty good. I can tell where the seam is but others might not be able to.
I tool my new offset jig and started to route the edges.
I cleaned it all off and random orbital sanded 100 grit the whole surface, then 220, then 320 and final 400. This was all a dry sand with regular sandpaper.
I then dug out the Ridged 6” random orbital sander and used my Abralon sandpaper which is hook and loop mounted to 1/4” foam and then a micro mesh sanding surface.
I went through 360 grit, 500 grit, 1000 grit and finally 2000 grit. My wife didn’t want a super polished surface so I didn’t buy the 4000 grit discs. I used water with a little dish soap to make a foam, I wiped off the surface with clean paper towels between grits.
I didn’t do the edges, I’ll do them by hand. I didn’t want to use a sander on the edge.
I then turned it over.
You can now see the glue block that is used to glue the two pieces of Corian together. It is a piece of Corian that is glued to one piece let dry and then glue the 2nd piece in place. This allows for edge matching on the two pieces.
I’m now going to put in the filler blocks which will allow the counter top to rest on my base cabinets. I used 3/4” MDF. Put it around all of the edges and across the middle where it matched 2 joined cabinets.
When my wife got home, we transported it to the house for the last? time. We wheeled it to the front door on a 2 wheel dolly, put it on top of a rug and drug it into the kitchen.
it was placed in place on top of the cabinets.
You can see a small amount of gloss in the reflection of the coffee pot.
The edge is a Ogee cut. It has not yet been sanded or polished. I’ll do all of that by hand, instead of watching TV.
Base cabinet for the sink to be assembled, Old cabinet to be removed, New one put in its place, new disk washer to be installed, and then probably old top back on so she can use the sink while I do the Corian on sink cutout and Corian sink.
-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia firstname.lastname@example.org †