Before we get started, I stated in the previous blog that I’d let you see the cement tube that is used to bond the Corian pieces together.
The glue tube with two separate compartments, One for the fill material and the second for the catalyst. The plunger is part of the adapter kit that allows it to be used in a regular caulking gun. Your option is this, or a $80.00 to $150.00 gun. I opted for the $4.00 part.
The small plastic piece beside it is an adapter that allows it to be used in a regular caulking gun.
Somewhere in my pressing the plunger i split the plastic piece so I wrapped it with Duck Tape. A real redneck thing to do.
The tip that is attached to the front of the cement cylinder has a waffle pattern that mixes the two products together.
Now on to today’s entry.
I took a piece of Corian and brought it into the house to sit on top of the base cabinets so my wife would have some place to put things.
She said that she wanted a rounded end. So i took a pencil and drew the curve on the end of the Corian. I took a jig saw and cut it off.
I said is this what you want. She replied yes.
I made a 1/4” mdf pattern of the curve and sanded it smooth so that it would be a router template to put the edge on the Corian.
So I cut the edge with a jig saw to within 1/8” of the line and then I used the router template to cut the edge of the top piece of Corian.
I then started cutting small pieces to make the edge.
Then sense kicked in and I figured out that I didn’t want to glue in all of those small pieces.
So I glued on a big rectangle piece on the end, and the edge banding around the edges.
I then started on the smaller piece of Corian that would be attached to the large surface. Drew my line.
Started to cut it with a Ryobi Lithium Battery skill saw.
The blade is quite thin and cuts a great cut to break down the Corian into manageable sizes. This is what I used at the salvage depot when I bought the Corian.
I then cut it on my table saw to 25 1/2” square.
Getting ready to glue the edges on the small piece but I also needed to make a gluing brace to join the two pieces of Corian together. This is a chunk of Corian the goes across the seam so that both surfaces will be glued to it. Here I’m glueing it to the large counter top.
Now the for real glueing. I found out that you need to practice the glueing process before you open the cement, because that is not the time to go get the clamps that you need. My practice run noticed that I was tipping the Corian glue brace and I needed a better bonding clamp. Therefore I used Bessie clamps.
I then glued the edges on the small piece.
I only need edges on two sides. I don’t need any on the back nor on the side that is attached to the large counter top.
While the glue was setting up I started to work the edges on the large surface that was glued up last night.
I turned it over and this is the view of the large pieces that i glued on the edge.
I cut to within 1/8” with the jig saw.
I then used the router to trim up the lower pieces to match the previous cut edge.
It was at this point that Greg3G showed up with his wife from W. Virginia. So we had a little visit. After he left I didn’t take any more pictures but what I did was clean up all of the edges by using a piece of 1/4” Corian as a straight edge and used a pattern router bit to clean up all of the edges instead of using a belt sander. It’s faster with a router. I also used the MDF pattern of the end and trimmed it back another 1/16” to clean up some glue. Hand sanded the edges with 100 grit sandpaper to get rid of any router divots.
I then carried it into the house to see how it fit in its intended spot. The two pieces are not glued together yet.
The edges are still square and have not had the rounder over edge put on it. I’ll wait until the two pieces are glued together so that the final edge cuts can be made. The mating edges where they need to be jointed are a perfect fit. It should be able to come together with no visible seam.
That’s tomorrows work.
I bought 4 tubes of glue, I’ve used 3 so I will need somemore. The tips are a throw away piece, because once its been used, you can’t clean out the glue. You throw it away and start with a new tip. I got 1 tips with each tube. I bought 4 extra. So my tip supply is good for now. You get all the pieces that need glue ready, before you start. You don’t say I’ll glue these up and then get these ready to glue later. The tube can be resealed so you don’t lose the rest of the tube, just the tip, $1.50 each.
One thing that Lee Jesberger told me is this stuff is messy. He is right. Dust everywhere in the shop from the table saw cutting. Everything else has been done outside on sawhorses. and there is non-biodegradable plastic everywhere.
-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia firstname.lastname@example.org †