Well this was my first try at assembling a Corian top for the base cabinets.
I didn’t take any pictures of the actual gluing because I wasn’t sure of the amount of time I’d have as i was doing that process. Now that I have a better feel for the amount of time it takes, I’ll take some assembly pictures for the rest of the counter top.
I started with the corner cabinet that is 24” X 24” and is where we currently have a microwave and toaster.
New cabinet with the old top that We’ve been using. The drawer fronts have not been made yet, but the cabinet is in use.
The underside of the Corian top with a 1/4” gray stripe and a 1/2” Fog stripe that matches the top surface.
I’ve not put in any wooden blocks to the underside of the top as of yet. I was wanting to find out how much space that I’d have to fill. It’s 1/4 + 1/2 so a 3/4” block would fill it but the ply is under 3/4 so I’ll have to engineer what I use maybe MDF is the right size or some OSB board. I’ll use silicone to stick to the underside of the corian top and use it at the edges to allow me to screw the top down.
The top in place temporarily.
The wife didn’t want any backsplash on this cabinet, so wall repairs will be necessary. This top is also 1 1/4” thick at the edge, normally edge treatment is 1 1/2”. But we only wanted a 1/4” stripe and not a 1/2” stripe, I’m also not sure that I’d want a 1/4” strip at the bottom either. There is a seam about 3/4” in on the side of the last picture. It is not visable. The glue disolves the Corian and makes an invisable joint.
The edge was sanded with a belt sander 80 grit to make the edges of all of the surfaces even and to get the glue squeeze out off the surface. The glue squeeze out that you see on the underside pictures was also on the outside edges and it was a little rubbery, not a hard surface, but it didn’t stick to the sandpaper. The sandpaper did not load up.
I used hand sanding on the edges up to 220 grit and then went to 320 and 400 on a random orbital sander. I also did the random orbital sander on the top surface with the same grits. I used a laminate trimmer router with a 1/4” quarter round to round over the edges on the front and side.
I then went to my 6” Rigid sander that has a variable speed and I used Abralon disks for the top. I bought some 180 but didn’t use it since i already used up to 400 grit dry.
The Abralon disks are hook and look and have about 1/4” of foam rubber between the hook and loop and the sanding surface. I started with the 360 grit and worked up to 2000 grit. My wife wanted more of a Satin/ semi gloss surface so I didn’t buy the 4000 grit disks. You can see the reflection off of the top and see the wall in the reflection. But it’s not a real gloss shine.
The corian was cut on my table saw with carbide blades. I’ve got a sliding table so the sheet slide across quite well. It was 144” long X 30 ” wide when I bought it. I took a battery operated skill saw to the store and cut the sheet in two. The longest piece was 102” and it fit in my van standing on edge. So I transported them home with no problems.
10/11/10 I’ve had many people ask me where I bought it. So I went looking It’s Dupont’s salvage building at 1001 Lambsons Ln, New Castle De 19720 I don’t have there phone number, I’ve been unable to find it in my receipts.
I found the address on my GPS.
The Corian was bought at a DuPont salvage depot in Delaware. These sheets cost $80.00 each, which is a bargain. The color is Fog, which is a color made for Lowes and has since been discontinued. This color was not sold by any other vendor. The glue is color matched to the Corian, and DuPont said to use Dawn Beige. I bought the glue from a store that was recommended by the counter man at the DuPont salvage depot. I used maybe 1/3 of a tube on this assembly.(That was one of the questionable items that I had in my mind) I’ve bought 4 tubes and may need more. The price is 19.00 per tube and contains 50ml of glue. The tip is a mixing tip and the ratio of 10 to 1 comes out automatically as you press it. I bought an adaptor that allows it to fit in a regular caulking gun.
I started the glueing at 12 noon finished by 12:45, Ate some lunch with my wife and was back working on it by 1:15. I was all finished by about 3:00.
Pictures of the adapter and the mixing top will be posted in another blog.
-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia firstname.lastname@example.org †