Well I went to the attic, actually surface area of the wood rack in the workshop and picked up a Bigleaf Maple Burl piece that I bought about 5 years ago on eBay. It came from the Pacific Northwest of the USA.
The piece had been water blasted to remove all of the bark off the outer edge of the burl and that leaves the spikes that are seen here. The block had been dipped in wax to minimize the drying of it.
I then went to the jointer (spiral Carbide blades) and cleaned up the edges.
I identified the same side on the pieces to be cut next.
The block has a slope on the bottom. That was the way it came to me and so I’m keeping the same slope. I’ll make the bottom flat, but it will have an angle to the two sides. The front and back will be at a 90 deg.
I now cut off the top and bottom to get the center block.
The angle is visible in this shot.
I now marked the cut line for the core of the box.
And that is where I stopped tonight. I need to dig out the small Sears Craftsman 12” bandsaw that I’ve owned for 35 years. I keep finer cut blades in it than I do in the big saw. I used a carbide tipped resaw blade to make the saw cuts shown for the top and bottom cutoff. No sanding is required on these cuts.
The reason that one side is wider than the other is so that I don’t cut through on the angle. BUT, that is also a design issue. Don’t make everything the same size because this is a small box and differences like this make it unique.
-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia firstname.lastname@example.org †