After a very early morning and a good day working away from my normal 40 hour a week job. I was able to spend the latter half of yesterday working on my bench. I managed to get the skirts cut, and installed. I did not glue the sides on or the top on.
Here is the results….
How do you guys like that Japanese angle guide. It was worth the $55 I paid for it, and will never leave my toolbox. The bottom picture shows how my bench is different from Mr. Sellers’ bench. I have two tops in a split top style bench. This is my way of making the best use out of a larger single top that I had put together for a previous version of my bench.
Just so you know, the bench gets horizontal stability from 4x half inch dadoes that capture the legs into the skirts.
At this point, I do want to apologize. I did my best to stick to the “hand tools” only philosophy on this bench, but after spending 3 hours to cut 1/8 of an inch of a 1/2 inch dado into the skirt, I broke out my Bosch colt electric router. I managed to rough cut the dadoes using it. I did nearly mess one up when the router bit in. Luckily I had erred by mis-marking the top of one of the dadoes, so the extra bite wound up matching where the dado needed to end at anyway.
I just got done with one coat of BLO and I will be putting another on in the next few minutes. As soon as the vice is on, I’ll post some finished pics.
-- Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Vince Lombardi