It’s been a while, too long in fact since updating. I don’t have pictures with this one, so I must go ahead and apologize for that. I want to take this time to thank ajosephg for his document on making an old saw do new tricks. His insight was much needed, and is the reason my saw is not scrap metal right now. Also, this helped me fix the wobble in my arbor…
I noticed three problems while working on the alignment of my saw. First, the blade alignment was never quite right no matter how much work I did or how I adjusted it. Second, with the belt off, I realized that the arbor shaft would move in and out by about 1/32 of an inch. And third, I noticed that the
So, I noticed the 0 degree alignment was off by about .002 and the 45 degree alignment was off by around 1/8 of an inch from the front of the blade to the back. To fix this, I installed three 3/8 washers between the front mount and the table top. This reduced the 45 degree alignment difference down to .005 of an inch with the rear being high now. I’ve not gotten around to it, but I’ll shim the back with an old beer can and that problem should be fixed. The problem that remained was with the 0 degree alignment. I pulled the whole saw apart and used a round file to open up the mounting holes for the saw cradle assembly. Like I said, read ajosephg’s file and it lists how to do all of this. I also took the time to file two flat spots on either side of the rear mount so that the PALS had a flat area to push against. (The PALS instructions say to do this). I mounted the front and rear, and alignment for the 0 degree was a cinch.
While I had the saw apart I decided to remedy the arbor problem. The way the bearings and arbor assembly mount on this saw there is supposed to be a spring washer between the saw side bearing and the inside of the mounting area. Also there is a plate / washer that mounts using three screws on the pulley side of the arbor. That plate / washer is concave shaped so that when it’s tightened down it pushes the bearing into it’s mount and keeps it there. I noticed that particular washer / plate was now convex and wasn’t applying any pressure to the bearing race as it should. So, I pulled the pulle off, flipped the washer / plate over and screwed it back in place. Problem solved right? Nope. as soon as I began to tap the pulley back onto the shaft, the recoil popped the washer / plate back out. Undeterred I did some creative bending and re-installed the piece. Problem solved…. I should note that I had the arbor shaft mounted in a vice so that I was not leaving the bearings to absorb the blows from the rubber mallet as I installed the pulley.
With two problems out of the way, I only had one more left. The source of my blade wobble, the inner mount for the blade. To fix it, I followed the advice here. The only difference is that I used an 80 grit truing stone for grinder wheels. It worked like a charm.
So at this point, I have to finish shimming the back mount and re-install the incra fence and I should be on my way to building that new saw workstation…...
-- Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Vince Lombardi