Well, today I did get to come home at lunch and dust out the motor, and let me tell you, it looked 40 years younger when I did. The windings were actually nice and shiny underneath the layers of old sawdust…..
With that out of the way, I was able to move on. I pressed the new bearings onto the arbor using a deep socket and rubber mallet to tap them into place. With that out of the way I put things back together in the manner I dis-assembled them. Since, I didn’t make notes or take comprehensive pictures of dis-assembling the motor. The schematics I found on Sears parts website helped me get it back together. Also, the wiring in the motor is old aluminum, and pretty much holds it’s shape, so figuring out where I de-soldered wires wasn’t too hard.
The moment of truth came, and there it was. I plugged in the motor, it hummed, and sat still. FOR A FEW SECONDS. A thump, and whir, and off it went, spinning quietly and ready to work. The delay when I plugged it in was most likely from the capacitor charging. The next time I plugged it in, it fired right up. I will mention that when the motor is running, it does hum a bit, but I think that’s normal for a motor of this type and age. With the motor running, I’m ready to get back to working on the saw and getting it ready for painting. I still have some parts to de-rust, and a good bit of scrubbing before painting. I’m shooting at having this thing painted Saturday…....
Make sure you look at the album, here.
Oh yeah, check out the frowning mashed taters from supper tonight…..
-- Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Vince Lombardi