Last night I couldn’t run my air compressor to clean out the motor windings, which isn’t a big deal. Soooo, Today at lunch I came home and went to fire up the compressor. Well, the compressor was where it should be, but I didn’t have the air sprayer nozzle. I spent about 20 minutes looking for it and couldn’t find it. Oh well, I just waited till I got off work to look for it. An hour after cleaning and re-arranging my shop I found it in a small shoebox bin along with all the other miscellaneous air compressor parts and fittings. Right where I left it a couple of months ago, except that it was hidden by a stack of boards against a wall. The down side is that by the time I found it, it was ten p.m. Most of my neighbors don’t mind me banging around till about 12, but I have a baby and a school age child trying to sleep after nine, so I’m on hold till tomorrow again.
So, undeterred I decided to remove the other bad bearing from the motor arbor. I got stumped. I don’t have a pulley puller, or a press, so I had to rely on the good old duct tape, chewing gum, super glue, and bailing wire ingenuity. I began by clamping a wrench on the table of my drill press, and trying to press the arbor out. This was unreliable at best, the table tilted, the wrench bent (a wee bit, might be worth a trip to Sears for a replacement if they even do that anymore) and the arbor laughed at me. At least I think it did.
So, I came in the house, and worked on some hand sharpening of a plane blade (grinding by hand sucks, but I hate burning antique tools on my bench grinder even with a white wheel). Fifteen minutes of that and I had another idea, just stack wrenches between the magnet and the bearing and use the top wrench to pry the bearing loose. The problem is that the magnet has cooling fins that get in the way of stacking wrenches. So, I spent a while staring at tools and parts throughout the shop….
After some careful examination of the arbor shaft, I realized that it steps up in size from the tip to where the bearing is located at. It goes from 5/8 to 11/16. I also realized that I had purchased some heavy duty penetrating oil and saturated the bearing accordingly. So I grabbed a couple of 5/8 wrenches and slipped them on the arbor shaft, they stopped about 1 1/2 inches from where the bearing was mounted. I used a pair of c-clamps between the bearing and the wrenches and began to work on pulling the bearing. Slow and steady, alternating pressure, the bearing popped off. The good news is, I didn’t mess up the shaft as far as I can tell, and this time tomorrow, I should be putting the motor back together…... Maybe.
I didn’t take any pictures tonight, but I’ll put some up detailing the re-assembly and the method I used for pulling the bearings if I get some free time tomorrow.
Also, I got the first good news on a replacement motor. A friend gave me some very reasonable prices on a replacement 1 and 1-1/2 HP motor that will work great on this saw. I plan to go ahead and rebuild the one I’ve got for the time being, but eventually when I’ve got the $$$ I will replace it with a bit safer motor. I say safer after doing some research. From what I’ve found the old open frame motors are considered to be fire hazards and have been replaced with enclosed and sealed motors….. Till next time.
-- Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Vince Lombardi