I managed to get the old arbor bearings out of the saw last night. Thankfully, I have no intention of re-using them, since I messed the casing of one of them up while extracting them. I have an uncle that works for Motion Industries locally, he is more or less the guy you call around here when you need bearings of any type. So, never one to pass up talking to family I don’t get to see very often, I gave him a call and had him cross-reference the two arbor bearings. The replacements should be in tomorrow. I’ll post a picture of the old and new ones once I have them, along with some part numbers. So, the ball bearings are rolling on that part…..
I don’t know about you guys, but I am the kind of guy that pours over plans (mine and others) until I have everything memorized to a certain extent. Then I throw them to the wind an build my project. So, this entry is more or less of a memory dump of two days of reflection on what I’m going to do with this saw.
1) I want to repaint the body of the saw…. I’m looking at this color…..
2) I want the saw back to being shiny. I have two gallons of Evaporust for cleaning up steel parts, the only downside is that it leaves a gunmetal color to the steel. I think this could easily be remedied by some heavy polishing. Ideas welcome…..
3) I want to install my incra TS-LS 32” on the saw. This will require four 3/8 inch holes to be drilled in the front and back of the table saw table. This will accommodate the mounting mechanics of the rails.
4) Zero clearance insert(s). I ordered a phenolic one for the saw from Highland Woodworking. It should do great for my everyday blade(s). I want one for each of my molding heads and the dado blades. The problem with the insert is that it is held in by two screws, it has no leveling screws, and it is 3/32nds of an inch thick. I think that a planer table for small parts is in my future.
5) I want to build a mobile table saw base for the saw, along with an improved router table. I found an old Shopnotes article for a bench saw station that I really like. I have some improvements to it I’d like to make.
I found a picture, but I don’t want to post it, since i don’t have rights to it.
Well that’s enough for me, I’m off to bed to dream of restored saws and matching cabinets….......
-- My hear doesn't beat, it wobbles.......